"We really enjoyed the festival. I couldn't believe how many things were happening in such a small town."
Marsden Jazz - Weekend Volunteering
The majority of volunteers are concentrated on the weekend of the festival in October.
How Do I Volunteer?
If you want to join us as a Weekend Volunteer you will be contacted in August and invited to indicate what you would like to do and how much time you can commit to. We run an induction session for new volunteers, which we’ll let you know about separately. Volunteers are not expected to be available for the whole Festival (but are very welcome to be!). You will be asked to indicate your general availability and the type of task you would prefer to do.
To volunteer, just get in touch with us on 01484 846969 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rough With The Smooth
We assume that in addition to the more attractive tasks, such as stewarding the headline gigs, Volunteers will also be prepared to help out where needed and to turn their hand to the less glamorous aspects. We remind volunteers that once they have made a commitment they have a responsibility to fulfil it – so please don’t be tempted to overcommit yourself.
Read on to see the range of things we need people to do – there’s something for everyone.
- Stewarding: your opportunity to hear the gigs for free! Stewarding involves checking tickets on the door, helping people to find seats, keeping the door area clears etc. New volunteers are paired with an experienced volunteer. Some gigs take outside.
- Stewarding the parade and collecting donations.
- Meet and Greet: Liaising with bands as they arrive and collecting set lists from them. More experienced volunteers may also be asked to take payments to bands and return receipts.
- Box Office: selling tickets and merchandise, handling returns and providing information.
- Office: dealing with telephone enquiries, passing on messages and contacting key people by phone if necessary.
- Shifting furniture: there are occasions when chairs have to be moved from the Mechanics Hall to outside venues (and vice versa), and changes to be made to the set up of the hall, depending on whether a gig is seated or not.
- General gophering
- Sound and lighting: sound and lighting are provided but volunteers with a particular interest in or experience of this area are invited to indicate.
- Post festival set down: generally putting away the furniture, moving the office kit back to the shop, setting down the box office, cleaning up – and celebrating!
Now that you’re feeling all enthused, get in touch with us on 01484 846969 or drop us a line at email@example.com.